Yesterday's baking resulted in some tasty cake (no, not Tastykakes). I found this recipe in this month's Betty Crocker "supermarket checkout magazine" - Fall Baking. This little magazine has quite a few recipes I want to try - this one here just being the first. Now I got 2/3 of the way into making the cake and realized that I HAD NO LEMONS in the house so I substituted limes - I think it worked out very well. Here's the recipe in the original format with my changes in italics:
Lemon-Zucchini Pound Cake
(courtesy of Betty Crocker)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened (butter)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (lime juice)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (lime zest)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium), squeezed to drain
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half (2 tablespoons half-and-half)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 tablespoon lime juice)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (1/4 teaspoon sour salt)
- Heat oven to 350F. Grease 12-cup fluted tube pan with shortening; lightly flour. (I sprayed it with Williams-Sonoma's NonStick Baking Spray - love that stuff).
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt with spoon; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat 1 cup butter with electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until creamy. Beat in 2 cups powdered sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well on low speed after each addition. Beat on low speed 1 minute. Stir in lemon (lime) juice, lemon (lime) peel and zucchini. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Mine took 55 minutes). Cool 15 minutes in pan. Remove from pan onto serving plate. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- In 1-quart saucepan (I used a small skillet), heat all glaze ingredients just to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Let stand 30 minutes until slightly thickened. Drizzle over cake.