Or I should say at least it's the weekend. Poor Liam got hit with his first bug of the winter. He always gets hit so hard with a virus that seems to last for days on end. Fever started yesterday early afternoon and continues still ... at least the Motrin will keep it at bay for 6 hours or so - though he's still lethargic. Let's hope that he's back to normal tomorrow.
He did make it to yesterday's last soccer game of the season - the Dragons lost 4-2, but they played a good game. I think because the coach was out of town they just didn't have the same rhythm they usually do (plus it was at 8am so they were all pretty tired). Liam can't wait until next season.
I did make it to the grocery store this morning so everyone got a home cooked meal - Baked Shells with Pesto, Mozzarella, and Meat Sauce from Quick From Scratch: One-Dish Meals from Food & Wine Books. The original recipe uses ground beef instead of sausage meat, but otherwise I kept pretty true to the recipe. I also made a recipe from AllRecipes - Garlic Bread Fantastique. Both recipes were good. :-)
Baked Shells with Pesto, Mozzarella, and Meat Sauce
(modified from Quick From Scratch: One-Dish Meals by Food & Wine books)
- 1 pound sweet sausage, casing removed
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 3/4 pound medium pasta shells
- 6 ounces mozzarella, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 450F. Oil a large baking dish.
- In a large frying pan, cook sausage, crumbling as it cooks until brown. Drain fat.
- Add the tomatoes and seasoning and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pesto.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the shells until just done. Drain and toss with the sauce. Put half of the pasta into the prepared baking dish and top with half the mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan. Repeat with the remaining pasta, mozzarella, and Parmesan. Bake until bubbling, about 15 minutes.
Garlic Bread Fantastique
(courtesy of AllRecipes)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 French baguette, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a medium bowl combine butter, mayonnaise, sage, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Spread mixture evenly on bread and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place bread under broil for 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted.