Do you have one of those recipes that everyone just loves and you find yourself falling back to? For me this was my go to recipe when we would have playgroup and it always got rave reviews. Unfortunately since the kids are older and no longer "into" playgroups I don't make it nearly often enough.
Don doesn't care for the taste of cilantro or sesame so this is just an "eh" for him. The kids? Well, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time you know that they really like basic food and this wouldn't appeal to them. Last weekend, however, I decided to make a batch and eat it for lunch during the week and I'm so glad I did.
Usually I add some carrots into the salad and sliced avocado on top of the served salad but this was good just as written. The dressing I always cut down on the oil slightly and mix in some sesame seeds (white and black). And because it's a pasta salad, I get to submit it to Ruth's Presto Pasta Night over at her blog Once Upon a Feast. Head over there on Friday and see what other lovely creations everyone has cooked up!
Sesame Chicken Pasta Salad
(courtesy of AllRecipes)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (I usually buy the already toasted type and skip step 1)
- 1 (16 ounce) package bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use between 1/4 and 1/3 cup oil)
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (I use fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast meat
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sesame seeds, and cook stirring frequently until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain pasta, and rinse under cold water until cool. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine vegetable oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, sesame seeds, ginger, and pepper. Shake well.
- Pour sesame dressing over pasta, and toss to coat evenly. Gently mix in chicken, cilantro, and green onions.